27 September, 2017

A Talk And Two New Books

On Saturday 7 October, the Mortimer History Society is holding its annual symposium at Ludlow in Shropshire, and this year I'm one of the speakers. My talk is about Isabella of France, Edward II's queen, and is titled 'The Rebel Queen', the same as my 2016 biography of her. Here is the programme; as far as I know there are still places left, if you'd like to attend!

My fourth book will be published on 15 October 2017, and I've ventured beyond my usual era for this one: it's a biography of Edward II's great-grandson Richard II, king of England from 1377 to 1399 and also deposed. (As you can see, I'm drawn to the unsuccessful kings of medieval England.) Its title is Richard II: A True King's Fall, which is a quotation from Shakespeare's wonderful play about him*, and all the chapter titles are also Shakespeare quotations. You can pre-order it on Amazon, or Book Depository.

Sneak preview!



And there's a new bio of Edward II coming out on 15 November, written by Stephen Spinks and titled Edward II: A Doomed Inheritance. Really looking forward to it, and I love that red cover with the manuscript illustration of Edward's coronation.

* HENRY BOLINGBROKE
Go, some of you convey him to the Tower.

KING RICHARD II
O, good! convey? conveyers are you all,
That rise thus nimbly by a true king's fall.

1 comment:

sami parkkonen said...

I'm stuck in Finland so I can not be there listening you except in my dreams. Thank God I have your books.

I am interested to see the new take on Edward II, wondering how it will be. Hoping a new fresh approach based on the new evidence You have brought out.