07 April, 2017

Two New Novels

Today I'm delighted to announce the publication of two great new novels set in the fourteenth century!

Firstly, there's Under the Approaching Dark (isn't that a fab title?) by Anna Belfrage. It's the third part of her The King's Greatest Enemy series about Adam de Guirande, an adherent of Roger Mortimer, lord of Wigmore and first earl of March, and opens in 1327 shortly after the deposition of Edward II. It's released in three weeks, on 28 April, and you can see it here on Amazon. Here is Anna's website. I'm especially delighted to announce that the new novel is dedicated to me! That's a real honour, and I'm so pleased to have been able to help Anna with her research.


Secondly, there's The Fair Maid of Kent by Caroline Newark, which came out on 21 March; see here for Caroline's website. It's a novel about Edward II's (half-)niece Joan of Kent, who married Edward's grandson Edward of Woodstock and was the mother of Richard II. Fair Maid opens in 1338 and ends eleven years in 1349, covering both of Joan's marriages to William Montacute, heir to the earldom of Salisbury, and her secret scandalous one to Sir Thomas Holland.

The good news is that Caroline's next novel, The Pearl of France, will be about Edward II's stepmother Marguerite of France, who married Edward I in 1299 (and who was Joan of Kent's paternal grandmother). Really looking forward to that one too!


Many thanks to both Anna and Caroline for so kindly sending me copies of their novels, and I can't wait to read them. Incidentally, historian Anthony Goodman has a new book about Joan of Kent, coming out in two weeks, on 21 April: see here.

1 comment:

sami parkkonen said...

I am pressing my publisher who is dragging its feet, but when ready, you will hear about it.